Sports betting in the U.S. is a largely contentious issue, with each state having its own rules. A total of 20 states allow sports betting to take place legally, but we’re likely to see more follow in 2021.
Outside of Nevada casinos, sports betting was illegal in the USA until 2018, when the Supreme Court ruled that each state had the right to decide their own laws. However, each state’s laws regarding what sports you can and cannot place money on differ—making it very complicated if you’re a casual gambler.
Gambling in the USA
Just because sports gambling was mostly illegal in the USA didn’t mean it didn’t go on. Prior to state legalization, US law enforcement estimated that illegal sports betting generated around 150 billion dollars a year. So, it’s no wonder Washington state is finding a way to regulate the industry.
In addition to circulating vast amounts of untaxable cash, the illegal sports betting industry forced gamblers to bet via dangerous black-market means. However, as more and more states legalize sports betting online, many gamblers can now place bets on sporting events safely from home via a computer or mobile device.
Not only has it proven to keep gamblers safe, but the taxable income from sports betting has brought in billions of dollars to the states that have chosen to legalise gambling activities. This includes New Jersey, the first state to legalize online gambling and encourage other states to follow in their footsteps.
Michigan is one of the latest states to adopt sports gambling. Things are still in their infant stages, but many expect that online gambling will be fully legal in the state by early 2021.
Like New Jersey, online sports gambling being fully legal will have a massive economic impact on Michigan – a state that has suffered from poverty and mass unemployment for decades.
The taxable income from sports betting could see vast improvements to Michigan’s infrastructure and could go a long way to help tackle the inner-city crime that plagues cities such as Detroit. Not to mention the job market it would create for both casinos and online gambling sites.
Sports betting could attract customers from all around the country and even from around the world. Michigan isn’t short of brilliant hotels; in fact, it has its own MGM Grand, which can accommodate over a thousand guests at any one time. Not only will sports betting create jobs within the gambling industry itself, but the run-off will be massive. Hospitality will grow, taxi and other rider services will be in demand, and the inner-city small businesses will see a boom.
2021 major sporting events
Michigan is a state famous for its sports teams. Although some of the teams aren’t quite what they used to be, sports fans worldwide are familiar with their names.
- Detroit Pistons – Basketball
- Detroit Lions – Football
- Detroit Tigers – Baseball
Not to mention the rise of Soccer that has seen Detroit FC bring some attention to the city.
What does 2021 have in store for Michigan?
Like every year, 2021 has some great sporting events on the horizon, so let’s look and see what offers up the most excitement for sports and gambling fans alike.
- Kicking off the year, we have the winter Xgames which always gets the blood flowing. Granted, it’s not for everyone, but there’s money to be won!
- The Super Bowl final is the event of the year for both sports and gambling fans around the globe. Whether your team makes it or not, do not miss out on the chance to win big this year.
- If you’re more into kicking back with a few beers and taking it easy, the Masters Tournament might be the sporting event for you. Golf is a sport that goes hand in hand with gambling, and if you do your homework, you could be in for a big win.
- The Kentucky Derby speaks for itself, and it’s a great way to get into horse racing if you’ve never tried it. Thousands of pundits and horse racing experts give their opinions each year, so it’s worth having your ear to the ground if you want to win some money.
- In August, we’ll see the tennis US Open’s return, which is always a special event. Last year young Austrian star Dominic Thiem stole the show with his turbulent win over Alexander Zverev – lookout for these names when placing your bets!
There we have it
2021 is set to be an exciting year for Michigan – with the advent of sports gambling, we could see a real boom in the state, with jobs and infrastructure seeing a vast improvement.
It’s high time other states take a leaf out of New Jersey’s book and get illegal gambling under control and start using the money for their own benefit, just like states such as Pennsylvania and Michigan have.