- 1 14-ounce can whole artichoke hearts packed in water, rinsed & drained, patted dry
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 4-ounce can chopped mild green chile peppers
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano® cheese, finely grated
- Grilled baguette slices or crisp flat bread
Soak the wood chips in water for at least 30 minutes.
Prepare the grill for direct and indirect cooking over medium-high heat (400°F to 450°F).
Drain and add the wood chips to the charcoal or to the smoker box of a gas grill, following manufacturer’s instructions, and close the lid. When smoke appears, grill the artichoke hearts over direct medium-high heat, with the lid closed, until warmed through, 3 to 5 minutes, turning once. Remove from the grill and roughly chop.
Combine the mayonnaise, cream cheese, mozzarella, chiles, sour cream, garlic, mustard powder, hot sauce, and pepper. Using a wooden spoon, smash the cream cheese against the inside of the bowl into a paste, and then stir the mixture until smooth. Stir in the artichoke hearts.
Lightly grease the inside of an 8-inch cast-iron skillet with butter. Transfer the artichoke mixture to the prepared skillet, and then distribute the Parmigiano-Reggiano® cheese evenly over the top. Cook over indirect medium-high heat, with the lid closed, until browned and bubbling on the surface, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving with grilled baguette slices or crisp flat bread.