"A crunchy, creamy appetizer with a surprising kick of barbecue."
- 1 baguette, cut into ½-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 large shrimp 26/30, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons BBQ Buddha Belly Rub or your favorite barbecue rub
- 2 slices thick-cut, hickory-smoked bacon, cut in strips
- 1 large or 2 small avocados
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat oven (or grill) to 350 degrees.
Place the baguette slices on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
Lightly coat the shrimp with olive oil and then the barbecue rub. Grill on medium heat 4 to 6 minutes or until cooked through. Let cool.
Fry bacon strips till cooked through and just crisp. Drain on paper towels. In a small bowl, mash the avocado, lime, salt and pepper together.
To assemble, spread a layer of avocado mash on the crostini. Top with a shrimp and bacon pieces. Serve immediately.