Nothing is as iconic in the South as sports and southern comfort food — bonus points if it’s fried! To help get you ready for all your outdoor get-togethers, The Gumbo Bros — a New Orleans-style eatery in Brooklyn and Nashville — is sharing the recipe for their fan favorite; fried green tomatoes. But, warning, these are not like what your grandma used to make! These thick-cut verdant gems are coated with a mix of crushed Rice Krispies, panko and Cajun seasoning for an extra crisp coating and served with spicy Come Back sauce that is sure to get your taste buds tingling.
Enjoy snacking on them as an appetizer or sandwiched in between some Leidenheimer Bakery bread in an ultra-authentic po’ boy like they do at the restaurant! The Gumbo Bros are also known for epic Louisiana-style crawfish boils every Sunday in the summer, along with 14-hour cooked gumbos and incredible NOLA-style cocktails to go along with their Cajun cuisine! Although Fried Green Tomatoes is a typical summertime dish, they keep this Southern staple on their menu year-round.
Here’s the recipe to make them at home!
Come Back Sauce Ingredients
- ¾ cup Ketchup
- ¾ cup Dukes Mayo
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tablespoon Dill Pickle Brine
- 1 teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Pepper (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- Gather all your ingredients.
- Add all ingredients to a small mixing bowl.
- Whisk until well combined.
- Transfer to an airtight container.
Fried Green Tomatoes Ingredients
- 1 quart canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup Rice Krispies
- 1 Tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 3 or 4 green tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Fine sea salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Bring a quart of canola oil to about 350 F in a cast iron skillet.
- In a food processor add panko, Rice Krispies and Cajun seasoning. Blend together until fine and set aside in a small mixing bowl.
- In another small mixing bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs, add a pinch of salt and a few cracks of black pepper.
- Core the tomatoes, cut thick slices (about 1⁄2 inch) and set in a small mixing bowl.
- Throw the flour over the tomatoes and toss to coat them well.
- Using two sets of tongs (one for wet, one for dry), bread the tomatoes by taking them from the flour bowl directly into the egg wash, then into the panko/Rice Krispies mix. (Make sure they are completely dredged).
- Once dredged, lower the tomatoes carefully into the hot oil in batches, fry until golden brown (about three minutes each) and sprinkle with sea salt before serving.