- For the grilled fish and fruit:
- 8–12 bamboo skewers soaked in water
- 4 pieces grey triggerfish, or hapuku bass, or similar firm white fish
- 4- to 6-ounces each: Selection of fresh fruit such as mango, pineapple, nectarines, kiwi, figs with skin on, thickly sliced
- For the pineapple vanilla vinaigrette:
- 3 cups pineapple juice, freshly extracted from 1 large pineapple
- 1 1/2 tablespoons juice of jalapeño, stems and seeds discarded
- 2 vanilla pods, split in half lengthways and scraped
- 2 tablespoons cider wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari or light soy sauce
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
GENTLY SIMMER the freshly extracted pineapple juice, jalapeno juice and scrapped vanilla pods, with seeds, into a saucepan/pot and simmer until reduced down to 1 cup, stirring occasionally. Place the reduction in a clean mixing bowl. Whisk in the remaining ingredients, season with salt and pepper, then cover and chill until needed.
SOAK skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
PAT FISH dry and place in a baking dish. Brush each piece with a generous portion of the vinaigrette and allow fish to marinate for 20 to 30 minutes as the grill heats up. Carefully skewer fruit, brush with marinade and set aside.
WHEN READY to cook, wipe the grill lightly with oil, and place fruit skewers and fish on the grill. Carefully turn when sides of fish turn opaque and fruit has seared. Serve immediately with additional vinaigrette on the side.