- 2 pounds catfish fillets (about 3 fillets)
- Avocado, thinly sliced
- Oil for the grill
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Flour tortillas
- Lime wedges
- Thai Slaw Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 2 juicy limes)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon red chile paste
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, more if needed
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon honey, more to taste
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Thai Slaw:
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage (about 1/4 to 1/2 of a small cabbage)
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 daikon radish, shredded
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
TO MAKE THE SLAW DRESSING: whisk fish sauce, lime juice, sesame oil, chili paste, coconut milk and peanut butter together in small pot over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Thin with coconut milk if needed to obtain a sauce that pours easily. Taste and adjust seasoning with honey and red pepper flakes.
TO MAKE THE THAI SLAW: combine red cabbage, carrots, daikon and red onion in a large bowl. Toss with half of slaw dressing. Set remaining dressing aside for serving with tacos.
PREHEAT GRILL to medium heat. Rub both sides of fish with a little oil. When grill is hot, use tongs to rub the grate with an oiled paper towel. Grill fish 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork. Meanwhile, wrap a stack of tortillas in foil and place on grill over low heat, turning once while fish cooks. Remove fish from the grill when done and cut into pieces. Pile fish in warm tortillas. Top with Thai slaw, sliced avocado, cilantro leaves and extra Thai slaw dressing. Serve with lime wedges.