If you are allergic to gluten or cannot consume dairy products, finding a pack of chocolate chip cookies that you can eat might be pretty challenging. After all, even with the growing awareness of issues allergic people have to face, most companies cater to the average person’s needs. However, there is an easy way to satisfy your chocolate cravings – making chewy chocolate chip cookies yourself.
Whether you are an experienced cook or just a beginner, this article will help you create a plate full of delicious snacks. We will guide you through every step of the process – from selecting the right ingredients and preparing the equipment to mixing everything together and baking. Let’s get started.
Before you begin, make sure that you have the following ingredients and equipment:
When it comes to cooking utensils, there are four main items that you will need:
- baking sheet (the standard size of this item is 13×18 inches),
- measuring cups,
- mixing bowls,
- measuring spoons
Other handy utensils include:
- stand mixer,
- wire cooling rack,
- parchment paper,
- silicone baking mats,
- mandoline slicer
The second step is to find all the ingredients you will need for making chewy chocolate chip cookies. Think about the following factors when purchasing them:
- Organic ingredients from reputable manufacturers (for example, such as https://www.santabarbarachocolate.com/) – whenever possible.
- Non-GMO products – to avoid harmful chemicals in your food.
- Dairy-free options if you are allergic to dairy products.
Although it would be great to purchase gluten-free products only, this might not be an easy task. If you have been diagnosed with celiac disease or have other health conditions that require you to avoid gluten, however, there are special brands that produce gluten-free foods.
Here is a list of ingredients we recommend using:
- coconut oil – a healthy alternative to butter,
- brown sugar – a healthier option than white sugar,
- vanilla extract – to give the cookies amazing flavor,
- almond flour – a perfect source of protein, fiber, and vitamin E,
- sea salt – to add a salty taste and help maintain electrolyte balance,
- baking soda – to improve the texture of the cookies,
- gluten-free all-purpose flour – to help maintain the brown color of the cookies.
Note that if you are allergic to one of the ingredients, you can replace it with a similar alternative. Just make sure that you get the same amount of nutrients from it. Here are some examples:
- Instead of almond flour, you can use oat flour, hazelnut flour, or buckwheat flour. However, they contain fewer nutrients than almond flour does.
- Instead of coconut oil, you can use butter or ghee. However, they are not as healthy options because they contain higher levels of saturated fat. Use them only in small amounts.
- Instead of sugar, you can use honey or maple syrup. They contain more minerals and vitamins than sugar does.
- Instead of baking soda, you can use baking powder (if you want to reduce the amount of sodium in your snacks).
Here is our proposition of ingredients you should use when making perfectly chewy chocolate chip cookies:
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup,
- ¼ cup of unsweetened applesauce,
- ¼ cup of almond milk,
- a dash of vanilla extract,
- ¾ cups of gluten-free flour,
- 1 ½ teaspoon of baking powder,
- ½ teaspoon of salt,
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar,
- ⅔ cup of chocolate chips,
- 1 ½ tablespoon of vegetable oil,
Once you have your supplies ready, it is time to start making chewy chocolate chip cookies. Here is our step-by-step guide:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly grease the baking sheet with coconut oil.
- Measure out all the dry ingredients into separate bowls.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and mix well until everything is combined.
- Scoop out the dough onto the baking sheet.
- Wet your hands with some water and flatten the dough down until it is about a half inch thick.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool on the wire rack for 15 minutes before serving.
We recommend enjoying our chewy chocolate chip cookies fresh out of the oven – this way, they will taste amazing every time you make them. Alternatively, you can store baked cookies in an airtight container and consume them within a week.
The Bottom Line
Chocolate chip cookies are a popular treat that many people love. However, because of the production process and the ingredients used, they might not be suitable for everyone. If you have allergies to gluten or dairy products or just want to eat healthy snacks, we recommend making chewy chocolate chip cookies at home. They taste amazing and can be made with all-natural ingredients.
If you have been looking for a healthy snack to satisfy your chocolate cravings, this article is precisely what you need. We have shown you all the essential steps to make chewy chocolate chip cookies by yourself. Now it is time for you to apply this knowledge and cook delicious snacks that will leave you feeling satisfied and happy!