Think People Only Tailgate Before Sporting Events? Think Again! At Red Rocks Amphitheater, a world-famous rock structure and outdoor music venue 10 miles west of Denver, concertgoers spend hours tailgating with Party at Red Rocks in parking areas surrounded by geological wonders and spectacular vistas. For the uninitiated, here are five tips for tailgating at Red Rocks.
- Take a bus. For as little as $30, you can take a party bus or shuttle to the venue, guaranteeing that you’ll get home safely.
- Pick a lot. There are four parking lots that open three hours before the event start time. The fan favorite for tailgating is the Lower South Lot. Although it is the farthest away and requires a long trek uphill to the venue entrance, the Lower South is bigger than any of the other three lots, making it the perfect spot for a party.
- Dress appropriately. If you start tailgating early, bring sunscreen or a hat to protect yourself from the sun. Check the weather, but in Colorado, it’s always smart to plan for rain. Bring a light rain jacket or something that will keep you warm when the sun goes down. At 6,000 feet high, Red Rocks has two staircases, each about 380 steps, which take visitors from the lower parking lot to the upper concession level, so wear comfortable shoes.
- Eat before the show. Eat a balanced meal to ensure you have enough energy to make it through the night. Small gas-controlled grills are allowed in the lots, but due to the fire risk, keep your charcoal grills at home. If you don’t eat beforehand, your options inside the venue are limited. Think burritos and nachos, pizza and pretzels, and bratwursts and hot dogs.
- Be patient. The line for port-a-potties in the parking areas can get quite long, especially right before the show is about to start. Once inside the venue, there are restrooms located in the Visitor Center, on the plaza at the north and south ends, to the left and right of the stage on the south ramp, and at the north stairs.
Follow these tips for tailgating at Red Rocks to maximize your party time in the parking lot before the big show!